MBTA 55 Bus Off the Chopping Block; Meeting to Save the Route Becomes Meeting to Improve It
BOSTON/Fenway - A public meeting called by the Fenway Community Development Corporation to organize area residents to oppose the MBTA's proposed cut of the 55 bus route Monday, took a positive turn when State Rep. Byron Rushing's (D-Boston) aide Elizabeth Corcoran-Hunt announced that no bus routes were slated to go on the chopping block in the wake of an independent review of the T commissioned by Gov. Deval Patrick and released earlier this month. The 55 bus runs from the Fenway up Boylston St. to Copley Square and downtown Boston.
Corcoran Hunt said, "The representative's sorry he couldn't be here today, but we did want to let you know what's happened is on the report that's come out, the Governor has given the new Secretary of the Department of Transportation till January to issue a response to that report. The report is very confusing. There's a lot in it. So, a couple months. He has said there will be no fare increases for at least two years. That's a promise we've gotten. Also, I've spoken with our liaison at the Department of Transportation, and he said they do not want to cut any of the bus routes. So the 55 is safe."
Meeting attendees spent the remainder of the meeting time speaking out on changes and improvements they'd like to see for the bus route. Over 70 people spent well over an hour discussing ideas with Corcoran Hunt and Fenway CDC staff.